Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar

Welcome family, friends and Rotarians around the world! Thanks to the generous support of the Rotary Foundation and Rotary International I have been awarded the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to continue my studies in Managua, Nicaragua. I welcome you to travel with me and share my adventures, and mis- adventures while adjusting to the culture, continuing my education through my organic beef research project, and fulfilling my ambassadorial duties. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

What to say about oneself. I like to think of myself as a person with a passion for life. I like to live fully and I see what life has to offer. To this end I enjoy the arts and traveling in general. Specifically, I like latin dancing, and music from the carribean both english and spanish speaking. I love animals - hence the Vet part. I have a connection with God... that sustains me.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

First days -- Universidad de Ciencias Comerciales

First days -- UCC
Well I have arrived in Nicaragua. Safe and Sound. Nothing is broken, nothing was lost, not harassed in customs or anything. I am currently staying with a student from the university. Her name is Liana. We are going to rent rooms in a house that is 3 blocks from the university. I have to buy furniture... but the rent is $120 which covers everything. I also think there is going to be a household budget for shopping.

Everyone here is very nice and I am doing my best with my spanish. Everyone talks so fast!! I am forever telling people I will understand if they talk more slowly. Yesterday I had a serious headace. I trust that will go away once I begin thinking in Spanish. It is kind of frustrating though to know that the simplist things for me happen so slowly. I find myself in the middle of a consersation ( as far as understanding and translating what is happening) when in reality the conversation is over. I figure out that it is the end when everyone has disapeared.
oh well I know that all of these are just growing pains.

Thanks to everyone who has commented. I will keep you all posted and try to answer individual comments directly or in the blog.

Besos

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you arrived safely! I've been looking all week to know how you're doing. You'll be fluent before you know it. It probably will only take a couple of weeks, maybe less. I thought of writing this in Spanish, but then I'd end up with a headache too. I love you,
Keegan

2/22/2006 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh, I can comment without joining a network!

I am glad that you arrived safely. I am also glad that everything is going well thus far. Hang in there with the Spanish, it will come with time...Remember practice makes perfect.

Much love from Louisiana,
Akilah

2/22/2006 7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am testing my Spanish in preparation for my visit.

Tomará tiempo de obtener asentado en un país extranjero. Los desafíos que usted experimenta le harán mejor. Tome tiempo de gozar el país, la cultura y las personas de Nicaragua. Aprenda a manejar para que usted será nuestro guía de turismo cuando nosotros le visitamos. Nosotros le adoramos mucho. ¡Sus Padres!

2/22/2006 10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vas a ver que te vas a divertir mucho en NIcaragua, aprenderas bastante español y conoceras el pasi mas lindo de Centroamerica con sus bellos lagos y montañas.

con cariño
Nohelia

2/23/2006 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!

I'm just now getting a chance to respond to this. I really want you to know how incredibly proud and excited I am for you and of you. I think you are just awesome!!!!!
You go girl!!!!!! I sent you an email earlier in the week- so please check your email. Can't wait to hear from you.

Love you lots!

Tee

2/23/2006 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

che,
el dolor de la cabeza no va a parar para meses...no hay nada que ver. jaja, me identifico contigo. suerte, che.

besos,
brian

2/24/2006 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe, you know in a way, you are experiencing the language like I am with being deaf. I know the language fluently, but people got to talk slower for me to understand. Unlike you, it won't improve for me, hence the notebook or I'd have headaches 24/7! I can TOTALLY relate to finding myself in the middle of a conversation whenever everyone else is done! Just take your time and you'll get it. Reading all these posts in Spanish is helping me! I have to study my Spanish to pass a test for going back to school. Comprendo todos, pero es necesario mucho mejor! :o) I miss you, but I know you'll have a wonderful time! -Erin

2/24/2006 2:40 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Hola Nneka, you're in Nicaragua! Wow. I must follow your journey there. An uncle of mine was there in the '70s. I've heard that the Nicaraguans are lovely people.

Say hello to your mum from Guyana when you next speak to her.

2/24/2006 3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nneka,

Glad to hear that you arrived safely! Do not worry - you will pick up the language quickly, and before you know it you will be totally immersed in Nicaraguan culture & society. I hope you love it.

I'm back from working with FMD & BSE in Germany - good trip. 76 days to go until graduation...

love you,
Eileen

2/26/2006 6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Que bueno,

Soy Jesse. Dimelo que pasando??? Yo siento tato es bueno y rico en aya.La musica en aya es punta (no piense para la otra palabra jajajajaja)).La primero vaina tu buscando por es la discoteca por bailar....verdad? Comprar una pistola en caso tu necessitar proteccion??nunca sabes ,,,tu sabes me. I'll pray for you...... I'm worrried about ya. Hopefully I can send you some bachata once I get that address and some of your favorite reagaeton!!!! ;)jajajajajaja Yo siento mejor pero yo necesitar un doctora aqui para me condition.Me pies dolor mucho. I will email you . Peace. Colejo suave.
Jessie "negrito" Thomas II

2/26/2006 5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellos tiene los morenos en aya tambien. yo creo ellos tiene una isla con los morenos ...... Me amigo que decir la comieda en aya que rico ...pero tiene cuidado con la comieda, especial lo que PAZO (rat/pig)????????? gracias el dios tato(todos estas = tato, get it!!! for those that dont know better ask somebody!! Ya learn that in P.R. or D.R. not Spain!) es bien. Hasta al fin ( Monchy y Alex) , amigos...colejo suave.
Jessie

2/26/2006 5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS : bring me some toques (jejeje) back for me!!!! ;-)..ask someone!

2/26/2006 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home