Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar

Welcome family, friends and Rotarians around the world! Thanks to the generous support of the Rotary Foundation and Rotary International I have been awarded the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to continue my studies in Managua, Nicaragua. I welcome you to travel with me and share my adventures, and mis- adventures while adjusting to the culture, continuing my education through my organic beef research project, and fulfilling my ambassadorial duties. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

What to say about oneself. I like to think of myself as a person with a passion for life. I like to live fully and I see what life has to offer. To this end I enjoy the arts and traveling in general. Specifically, I like latin dancing, and music from the carribean both english and spanish speaking. I love animals - hence the Vet part. I have a connection with God... that sustains me.

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

School Days - Pre-Carnival









This post is about relationships between students and teachers.

On the right the students ( Maria Luisa and Eva) are both wearing red and they are holding down and tickeling their teacher ( Pedro Caballero). Eva just happens to be from Philly and speaks great English that eases my headaches from time to time. I was suporting the whole thing by taking the picture. We were all trying to convince him to go to the carnival with us. sadly enough after all the tickling he still did not go. Oh well.

On the left is a picture of what I will consider the graduate students/ profesores ( all female ) and their significant others during the Carnival. I dont remember the mens names but from left to right the women are Xolchilt, Gabriela, and Noelia. All of whom are very nice and either offer me aspirin or tell me thay will understand if I talk in English.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is wonderful that you are appreciating the differences in the culture. Life is enjoyed in many ways. Have fun while you learn!
CNG

3/05/2006 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you say "Xolchilt". That looks like a cool name!!!

Tickling your teacher? Man...if I tickled my advisors I'd probably be banned from school...actually...there's a thought...(haha)

3/06/2006 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oye Nneka!! I hope you stay safe up there you KNOW you gotta tell me how the food is...=)
I really admire your thirst for travel and picking up another language... It's not over for me yet tho I got a couple of books so that in time we can talk together !! What are the foods they eat down there so i can learn how to make em'

Jamaal

3/06/2006 10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes...your thirst for adventure! Enjoy it! How was the carnaval?
No te preocupes! The headaches will disappear shortly. In a couple of weeks you'll wake up thinking in Espanol. Until then practice....;-) I should probably be doing the same since I will be in the same situation soon. JOY!!!! ;-)

Buena Suerte chica!

Stacy

3/06/2006 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nneka!!

I am so thrilled you are _finally_ there!! Can you please please say hi to Eva for me (if she remembers me - what with all those red-headed Chinese girls in Managua...)? That was really fun to see a picture of her and read your initial stories of Managua. Takes me back. It's funny to me to know you'll be working with the organic beef farms. I remember how fascinated we were by that talk - seems like yesterday. I truly hope you are having one hell of an experience. If you run into Enrique, say hello to him as well. In my dreams, I'll be hanging out with you, dancing the night away (don't laugh), although in reality, I'll still be slaving away at my internship (again, don't laugh). I'm so proud of you! Take care!!

Love, Sophia

3/06/2006 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nneka,
I don´t think the spanish comes as fast as everyone says. the problem is that you learn the basics- the words and grammar- and then you´ve got to learn how people actually speak. I think its gonna take a while, though im sure you will have the basic level of fluency in no time. this will not, however be the end of your frustrations. í don´t know if i would wait for the magic click that everyone talks about. maybe we see it that way in retrospect, but it is not that one instant later everything is easy in spanish. just be patient, che.

brian

3/07/2006 1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only problem you will have there is you will aquire a nicuraquan accent and think the way they speak spanish and wont have a hip dominican or Boricua accent.HAHAHAHHAHAHAJAJAJAJAJA Chiste! I am glad you are having fun. Estoy enfermo. En tres dias yo tenera la resultos de me (blood work) sangre. Yo espero es nada. Tan gozando! Remember dont eat the pig/rat thing I talked about but try mondongo/menudo its better than chitlings!!Pero es no mejor que su pollo guisado con la suqar morena. .....colejo suave.

Jesse Negrito tomas

3/08/2006 6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home