Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar

Welcome family, friends and Rotarians around the world! Thanks to the generous support of the Rotary Foundation and Rotary International I have been awarded the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to continue my studies in Managua, Nicaragua. I welcome you to travel with me and share my adventures, and mis- adventures while adjusting to the culture, continuing my education through my organic beef research project, and fulfilling my ambassadorial duties. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

What to say about oneself. I like to think of myself as a person with a passion for life. I like to live fully and I see what life has to offer. To this end I enjoy the arts and traveling in general. Specifically, I like latin dancing, and music from the carribean both english and spanish speaking. I love animals - hence the Vet part. I have a connection with God... that sustains me.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

April - In search of Nicaraguan Rotarians


One of the things that is taken very much for granted when one speaks a language well the ability to receive directions, find places, and make appointments.

It has been exceedingly difficult for me to find the Rotarians in Managua. I was very excited when I had great luck and found the Rotarians in Granada. I have made some efforts that looking back to me are just comical and I figured I would tell the story.

The Rotarians in Managua meet in the Hotel Crown Plaza on Thursdays at 7:00 pm. This is the information that is posted on the Rotary website. What is not posted is that they are not always there every Thursday at 7:00pm.
Over the course of my initial efforts I have made 3 unsuccessful trip in which I dress very nicely ( my mother would have been proud) and arrived with business cards, banners, speech, and smile well prepared. All to no avail.

On one of these failed attempts I made and initial call to confirm location and time and such, knowing how difficult it can be. The person on the phone indeed told me that I had the direction, time and day confused. I was excited and wrote everything down including, directions on how to arrive. Only when later reviewing everything with a friend I found out that I had called the wrong city in Nicaragua. I had called the Rotary Club of Leon.

I am not yet discouraged but I am getting there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home