Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar

Welcome family, friends and Rotarians around the world! Thanks to the generous support of the Rotary Foundation and Rotary International I have been awarded the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to continue my studies in Managua, Nicaragua. I welcome you to travel with me and share my adventures, and mis- adventures while adjusting to the culture, continuing my education through my organic beef research project, and fulfilling my ambassadorial duties. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

What to say about oneself. I like to think of myself as a person with a passion for life. I like to live fully and I see what life has to offer. To this end I enjoy the arts and traveling in general. Specifically, I like latin dancing, and music from the carribean both english and spanish speaking. I love animals - hence the Vet part. I have a connection with God... that sustains me.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Research Project Update


I spend most of my days here at UCC working on my project but I wanted to explain a little what that actually entailed. My project really originated when I visited Nicaragua in 2003. There was a bar-b-que argentinean style. There was nothing but beef, salt, bread and ... beverages. Anyway the beef was from an organic cattle farm in Nicaragua. To say the least I thought it was great because the beef is the basis for my project.

So everyday for me starts the same... I try to take over the world. Ok Not really but it feels that way. Very simply I have a list of farmers that I have to contact. When I contact them I explain the concepet of the project. The big picture is I am takeing a stool samples from the calves before and after they use whatever natural product to get rid of intestinal worms. In addition to this there is a small survey( written in non technical Nicaraguan spanish) to find out the general management practices. Finally I collect a sample of external parasites ( ticks) to classify and test for resistance to their natural/ organic products.

As simple as this sounds you would not believe how frustrating it has been. From cultural, language, time, and ect.... I really consider myself a patient person but everyone has a limit. Currently I am still in the initial stages but I am hopeful. There has been recent progress and I am encouraged that I wont spend my entire year still trying to contact people. I will keep you posted.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey sweetie,
You are in my prayers, and I am sure things will start coming together!
Adios, mi amiga!
-Kenya

5/02/2006 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello NNeka;
I finally found my way to your blog and read the entire thing in one sitting, such fun! It sounds like you are learning much more that we could ever have taught you here at HU? I don't think I have had any other alumna spend (well almost) spend time in a Nicaraguan jail! what a great story. As we have discusse, courtesy of Mark Twain:
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
You are certainly taking that literally. So have fun,take care of yourself and do good work.
"Walk Good" ( Jamaican saying) now I know that you recognize me!
Dr.N (HU)

5/05/2006 5:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nneka,

Sounds like you are enjoying your work. I hope you continue to do so. I missed you at graduation. Hard to believe I am finally a vet! :-) I start work on June 6. We all miss you - can't wait until you are home again.

Much love,
Eileen

5/15/2006 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home