Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar

Welcome family, friends and Rotarians around the world! Thanks to the generous support of the Rotary Foundation and Rotary International I have been awarded the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to continue my studies in Managua, Nicaragua. I welcome you to travel with me and share my adventures, and mis- adventures while adjusting to the culture, continuing my education through my organic beef research project, and fulfilling my ambassadorial duties. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

What to say about oneself. I like to think of myself as a person with a passion for life. I like to live fully and I see what life has to offer. To this end I enjoy the arts and traveling in general. Specifically, I like latin dancing, and music from the carribean both english and spanish speaking. I love animals - hence the Vet part. I have a connection with God... that sustains me.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Taxistas #2

The family that I was staying with the Father (Jose´) is a Taxi driver. The wife (Maria ) was telling me just how dificult it is for them to make money with the taxi. There are so many taxies and not enough people to ride in them. Hence the competition for passengers is fierce. In addition the rising cost of gas is affecting how much money the drivers can actually make.
She gave me an example. 2 weeks ago her husbad got 3 flat tires in one week, because the roads here are in such need of repair. In addition his head lights are not working and need to be replaced. One trip from Managua to San Juan del Sur which is on the Pacific Coast will cost you $75 usd. $15 automatically goes to gas. I think tires were $20 apiece. The cost of the new lights was not even mentioned. This human condition- struggling to provide for family and loved ones- is common the world over. Recently, I herd talk of a protest and strike by public transportation because of the raising gas prices. I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

che,
es verdad que la vida es una pelea para la mayoria del mundo. es un tema bastante profundo, demasiado por un blog, pero interesante. espero que aprendes algo sobre ese tema y me puedas contar algo cuando nos veamos (¿cuando vengas a la argentina, che?). seguro que la situación es distinta allá que en la argentina, ¿no?. (igual, es mas complicado si sos de los ee.uu. nuestra papel en la situación es despicable). bueno, contáme tu cuento de la policía. quiero saber que es lo que pasó contigo.

3/18/2006 7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home