Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar

Welcome family, friends and Rotarians around the world! Thanks to the generous support of the Rotary Foundation and Rotary International I have been awarded the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to continue my studies in Managua, Nicaragua. I welcome you to travel with me and share my adventures, and mis- adventures while adjusting to the culture, continuing my education through my organic beef research project, and fulfilling my ambassadorial duties. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

What to say about oneself. I like to think of myself as a person with a passion for life. I like to live fully and I see what life has to offer. To this end I enjoy the arts and traveling in general. Specifically, I like latin dancing, and music from the carribean both english and spanish speaking. I love animals - hence the Vet part. I have a connection with God... that sustains me.

Monday, March 13, 2006

San Juan Del Sur - Spanish School









Update time!
So I have finished my 2 weeks in San Juan Del Sur. I had a great time learned tons of Spanish. I am now much more comfortable talking in and about the past ( preterito y imperfecto). Gracias mil a mis profesores ( y señor invivible- he knows who he is). I will miss them all so much and all the fun we had together. Amanda, Elieser, Ceidy, Yerlanda, George, Belkis, Veronica. Also I am going to miss my host family. Especially Maria deJesus (who was a great cook), her daughter Liana (who would watch cartoons with me) and her husband Julio Ceasar ( who help me to stay cool during an encounter with the Police). That encounter will not be posted but if you are curious you can write me directly.

There were various activities in the afternoons. We visited various points of interest, Grenada ( where I currently am); Masaya, which is famous for its artisans; Volcan (??), smelled of sulfur and was know to intermitiently spew rocks and other hot debris, and various beaches.

In addition to doing tourist type things we also had community service activities. We had a celebration complete with piñata, cake, ice cream and candy for a local orphanage and montisori school supported by the procededs from the language school. In addition we had a celebration at a local school for childern with disabilities. The students in the language program donated money to buy a toilet for the school. The director of the language school is trying to extend the scope of the language school inclde suporting this school. Another activity included giving classes in english. Myself and 2 other students volunteered our time to teach anyone who wanted to learn or practice pronounciation. Teaching for these couple of hours was very invigorating. It did however point out how much I don´t remeber about the way I learned to speak english and also how little I know about english grammar. The pictures are all from my time in San Juan del Sur.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nneka,

I am glad to hear that you are becoming more confident and more at ease in your new home.

Stay safe and have fun.

love ya,
Eileen

3/13/2006 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I am planning to go to language school in San Juan del Sur in Jan 2009. Which school do you recommend? Thanks, Jeannie

11/25/2008 11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home