Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar

Welcome family, friends and Rotarians around the world! Thanks to the generous support of the Rotary Foundation and Rotary International I have been awarded the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to continue my studies in Managua, Nicaragua. I welcome you to travel with me and share my adventures, and mis- adventures while adjusting to the culture, continuing my education through my organic beef research project, and fulfilling my ambassadorial duties. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

What to say about oneself. I like to think of myself as a person with a passion for life. I like to live fully and I see what life has to offer. To this end I enjoy the arts and traveling in general. Specifically, I like latin dancing, and music from the carribean both english and spanish speaking. I love animals - hence the Vet part. I have a connection with God... that sustains me.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

May - Costa Atlantica

Nicaragua is a very diverse place ethnically. There are Nicaraguans of European descent (mostly Spanish, German, Italian and French), and European an indigenous peoples. Nicaragua's pre-Columbian population consisted the Nicarao people and six other ethnic groups including the Miskitsos, Ramas and Sumos along the Caribbean coast. About 9% of Nicaragua's population is black, or afronicaragüense, and mainly resides in the country's sparsely populated eastern or Atlantic coast.

Among this African, Coastal population English is widely spoken. Due to the African influence, in the East Coast, there is a different kind of music and dance called 'Palo de Mayo', or Maypole, which is celebrated during the Maypole Festival, during the month of May. The music is sensual with intense rhythms. The celebration is derived from the British Maypole for May Day celebration, as adapted and transformed by the Afro-nicaraguans on the Caribbean.

The photos are a snapshot into my trip to the coast ( 16hrs by bus and then speed boat, $20) during this May Pole celebration.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home