Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar

Welcome family, friends and Rotarians around the world! Thanks to the generous support of the Rotary Foundation and Rotary International I have been awarded the Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship to continue my studies in Managua, Nicaragua. I welcome you to travel with me and share my adventures, and mis- adventures while adjusting to the culture, continuing my education through my organic beef research project, and fulfilling my ambassadorial duties. Enjoy!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina, United States

What to say about oneself. I like to think of myself as a person with a passion for life. I like to live fully and I see what life has to offer. To this end I enjoy the arts and traveling in general. Specifically, I like latin dancing, and music from the carribean both english and spanish speaking. I love animals - hence the Vet part. I have a connection with God... that sustains me.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Mortar Bombs, Tear Gas and Burning Buses. Oh My!


One of the things that I have not written about is the strikes that have been ongoing in the country primarily in Managua. The bus drivers and the public hospital physicians have been at this for a while in order to earn better wages. For me the whole thing reached a scary height in May when I, by chance, happened to be at one of the universities and actually saw this bus on fire. And yes there actually were mortar bombs, and tear gas. Mom I am sure that you could have done with out all of this news. Because if you had know you might not have come to visit me :)

To know more in English

http://www.americas.org/item_25037

June 6, 2006 - Consumers Plan Massive Protest While Authorities Fail to Provide Solution to Energy Crisis; Violent Protests Against Bus Fares Continue After Short Ceasefire;

April 12, 2006 - Fifty Percent of Buses Back on Managua's Streets;

April 5, 2006 - Frustration for Managuans as City Bus Stoppage is on Again

February 22, 2006 - IMF and Business Group Reject Tax That Would End Bus Strike;


And if you can read the Spanish
http://www.laprensa.com.ni/archivo/2006/mayo/25/noticias/nacionales/119551.shtml

http://www-ni.laprensa.com.ni/archivo/2005/abril/21/ultimahora/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home